Audio-Technica’s AT4060 cardioid vacuum tube condenser brings the warmth of vintage tube sound to every shade of the SPL spectrum. With a dynamic range that far exceeds that of other tube microphones, it as easily captures the subtlest nuances of vocal and instrumental performance as it handles guitar cabinets and other extreme SPL environments. Featuring hand-selected, individually tested and aged tubes, the AT4060 achieves the coveted, classic sound of valve design without compromising the specification standards required for the most demanding recording situations.
Audio-Technica takes no chances with this microphone’s consistency and reliability: every AT4060 is individually tested and inspected for 100 percent quality assurance—rare in today’s world of mass-marketed studio microphones.
AT4060. Vintage sound, rock-solid reliability and amazing versatility for studio and live performance. From Audio-Technica’s premium line of 40 Series condenser microphones.
• Vintage tube sound with the versatile performance necessary for the most demanding studio applications
• Wide dynamic range, low self-noise and high max SPL capability
• The 2-micron-thick, vapor-deposited gold diaphragms undergo a five-step aging process so that the optimum characteristics achieved remain constant over years of use
• Dual-diaphragm capsule design maintains precise polar pattern definition across the full frequency range of the microphone
• Precision-machined, nickel-plated brass, acoustic element baffle provides enhanced element stability and optimal sensitivity
• Regulated and heavily filtered heater current prevents noise contamination of audio signal chain
• Hand-selected tubes are individually tested and aged to maintain peak performance
• Large coupling transformer provides superior low-frequency linearity
• Custom shock mount provides superior isolation
You may also be interested in the following product(s)
- A beautiful sounding mic at a sensible price... Review by Conrad
Value Quality Features
An investment into a mic of this quality is bound to outlast your next 5 computers. With proper handling and care I have no doubt this mic will still sound great 20 or more years from now.
The Sound: many modern tube mics try to reinvent the wheel and intentionally add warmth or distortion to colorize the sound and make it 'sound like a tube mic'. That is not the case with the 4060- while it has a distinctive character the sound is not altered by these means, it just sounds right.
I think that Audio Technica has set a good standard of quality/performance vs. price and this mic is no exception.
I gave 4 stars for features only because it would be nice to have a low-cut to make it more versatile between different mixers which don't always offer this feature.
Overall a fantastic mic at a sensible price, well worth the investment for a serious sound person. (Posted on 5/15/2012)