The groundbreaking Audio-Technica AT4080 Microphone achieves coveted ribbon microphone sound while solving the fragility and low output problems that have historically plagued ribbon mics. Delivering the warm, smooth sound of a classic ribbon microphone, the handcrafted bidirectional AT4080 offers a robust build for long-lasting, reliable performance, as well as higher output for maximum compatibility with microphone preamplifiers.
Equally at home in recording studios and live-sound settings, the AT4080 microphone boasts Audio-Technica's innovative MicroLinear ribbon imprint, which protects the dual ribbons from lateral flexing and distortion.
The innovative AT ribbon transducer advances the evolution of ribbon microphone design. Other enhancements include powerful N50 neodymium magnets for high output level, ultra-fine mesh to protect the ribbon against damage, high-SPL capability, and extended frequency response. The bidirectional AT4080 ribbon mic's housing assembly is open acoustically to minimize unwanted internal audio reflections.
Audio-Technica AT4080 Bidirectional Active Ribbon Microphone Features:
* Smooth, warm and natural high-fidelity sound for professional recording, broadcast, and sound reinforcement
* Groundbreaking Audio-Technica ribbon design with 18 patents pending
* Proprietary MicroLinear ribbon imprint for superior durability
* Innovative dual ribbon construction for increased sensitivity
* Extremely powerful N50 neodymium magnets for high output level
* Ultra-fine mesh helps protect against ribbon damage
* Classic bidirectional (figure-of-eight) polar pattern picks up sounds equally from the front and back of the element
* High-SPL capability and extended frequency response
* Extended frequency response for natural audio reproduction
* Acoustic baffle system and extra large output transformer provide natural low-frequency response and extended dynamic range
* Handmade production — including ribbon corrugation, imprint, and assembly
* Open acoustical environment of the housing assembly minimizes unwanted internal reflections
* Phantom-powered active electronics provide stable impedance and higher output for maximum compatibility with microphone preamplifiers
* Custom shock mount provides superior isolation
* Certified by the METAlliance (Music Engineering and Technology Alliance)
* Accessories Furnished: AT8449/SV shock mount for 5/8"-27 threaded stands, microphone dust cover, protective R1-style carrying case
Audio-Technica AT4080 Bidirectional Active Ribbon Microphone Includes:
* AT8449/SV shock mount for 5/8"-27 threaded stands, microphone dust cover, protective R1-style carrying case
You may also be interested in the following product(s)
- Silky smooth vocals Review by Thiago V.
Value Quality Features
The response is wider that an average ribbon, with the highs not rolling off until 18k--but it still has the attributed silky smoothness that characterizes ribbon mics in general.
This is not built fragile like most ribbons in general. It has several patents for its unique ribbon structure making it durable enough for a 5 year warranty!
I tested this Mic using a variety of sound sources and it performed respectably in all categories, making it a great choice all around. I love the way it makes my voice and plucked strings sound.
Overall this mic is very versatile, especially for a ribbon mic. (Posted on 5/14/2012)