The Avalon U5 Pure Class A instrument DI & preamplifier is the most powerful direct box available today. Designed to optimize absolute signal integrity and musical performance, the U5 includes many features and sonic excellence unequaled by lesser designs. The U5 is ideal for bass guitar and acoustic instruments, electric guitars, keyboards, synthesizers and low output pickups.
Features include state-of-the-art, high input impedance input stage for zero load effect on sensitive pickups and keyboards, 100% discrete, Pure Class A signal amplifiers, practical user features and rugged hardware designed to deliver true high performance audio for many years.
Avalon U5 DI-preamps have been in use around the world since 1995. They have found their way into the world's leading musicians rigs and recording sessions and been featured on thousands of the best selling (and sounding) albums and live performances.
The U5 includes a variable gain Class A preamplifier to boost low level pickup signals and a high level speaker input for capturing the live sound of the instruments amplifier. Six passive tone-EQ curves are also included to enhance a variety of acoustic and electric instruments. A high-cut switch eliminates unwanted acoustic pickup and high frequency noise, while a headphone monitor amp has been included for personal listening. Twin DC coupled Class A output amplifiers drive both low level microphone preamp inputs and high level +4dB inputs for direct to tape recording or processing. The active-to-thru switch selects either the instrument input directly or sends the boosted-equalized signal to the amplifier via the front panel jack. A ground isolation switch eliminates any possible earth loop or AC buzz problems with complete safety.
- Circuit topology: 100%-discrete, high-voltage Class A
- Gain: Switched 3dB steps (maximum gain +30dB)
- Input impedance: 3-Mohm unbalanced (single ended)
- Maximum input level: +24dBu unbalanced, 400w speaker input
- output connectors: 2 x XLR (pin 2 hot, electronic balanced)
- Maximum output level (Class A): +30dBu DC coupled, balanced600 ohms (mic and line out)
- Headphone output: 0.5W/600 ohms
- Noise 20kHz unweighted: -100dBu minimum gain position
- Distortion THD, IMD: 0.1% at +10dB
- Frequency response, -/+0.5dB: 5Hz-100kHz
- Frequency response, -3dB: 1Hz-500kHz (input band limited)
- High cut filter: -3dB at 8kHz minimum phase design
- Tone selector: 6-position rotary switch (all passive filters)
- AC power: Internal toroidal AC supply
- Dimensions: 8.5" x 3.5" x 12"
- Weight-Packed: 12 lbs.
- Optional rackmount kits available for single and dual unit mounting