The ASAT Special, as the model became known, features jumbo single-coil Magnetic Field Design pickups, each with a narrow bobbin aperture for a coil which is shallow yet wide. In this regard, an MFD jumbo single coil is similar to a P-90 or Jazzmaster pickup, yet the MFD principle provides a punchier bottom end and brighter top end sparkling with harmonics. Leo further departed with the past with the addition of his innovative Saddle-Lock bridge which transfers string energy right into the body end-grain for an incredibly resonant instrument. The result is one of the most versatile guitars ever, serving up ballsy twang to searing blues to smooth jazz tones. What’s more, this ASAT Special is offered in either a traditionally G&L Swamp Ash body for maximum attack, or a mahogany body for that righteous 80s G&L blend of jumbo MFD power mellowed by the high porosity of mahogany. Two great ASAT flavors, yours for the picking.
The Tribute Series ASAT Special brings the magic of Leo’s own reinterpretation of the single-cutaway bolt-on guitar, all at a price attainable for every working musician. Once you play a G&L Tribute Series, you’ll never look back.
Tobacco Sunburst over mahogany body, 3-ply black pickguard, tinted gloss neck finish, rosewood fingerboard
Blueburst over swamp ash body, pearl pickguard, clear satin neck finish, rosewood fingerboard
- CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
- SCALE: 25 1/2"
- PICKUPS: Leo Fender-designed jumbo G&L MFD single coils made in Fullerton, California
- BODY WOOD: Swamp Ash or Mahogany
- NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple with Rosewood fingerboard
- NECK WIDTH AT NUT: 1 5/8"
- NECK RADIUS: 9"
- NECK PROFILE: medium C
- FRETS: 22 medium jumbo, nickel
- TUNING KEYS: 18:1 ratio, sealed-back
- BRIDGE: Leo Fender-designed G&L Saddle-Lock
- CONTROLS: 3-position pickup selector, volume, tone