The Radial X-Amp is an active re-amping device that lets you use a a pre-recorded track from a line level device to drive two guitar amplifiers or effect pedals simultaneously. This opens the door to explore new musical sounds and spur on the creative process. Re-amping is one of those producerﾒs tricks for bringing new sounds and textures to already recorded tracks, and the X-Amp is designed to to the job well. This active re-amping device features a Class-A signal path, an input level overload indicator, an isolated output to get rid of ground loops, and a variable output level control. Add a new wrinkle to your recordings with the X-Amp!
Active re-amping deviceWith the X-Amp, you could for instance take a pre-recorded guitar track, and send it through a second distortion pedal and amplifier and then slightly delay the track to add a thick doubling effect. You could also use the X-Amp from a voice track to a distortion pedal to ad some grit to a performance. Another popular use would be to go back and fix a track should an error or glitch somehow appear.
100% Class-A Signal PathThe X-Amp employs a unique Class-A circuit design that has been optimized for use with guitars. Using the X-Amp is easy: One would, for instance, record a dry track using a high quality direct box, then send this track from the recorder to the X-Amp and then to either guitar amps, effect pedals or combinations thereof.
Creative AdvantagesRecording using the X-Amp has many benefits: Once the basic track has been recorded, replacing or adding tracks can be done well after the session player has gone home. This eliminates tiresome repetition and assures a fresh vibrant performance on the final recording. Furthermore, by driving two amps at the same time, new sounds and textures can be created allowing the engineer ﾖ producer to make artistic decisions as the recording progresses.
Input Control and Noise-free OutputX-Amp features include balanced line level input with LED peak indicator and level control, Class-A circuit topology for optimal reach and frequency response, direct and isolated guitar amplifier outputs, 180-degree polarity reverse to bring both amps into phase, and dual ground lift options for noise-free operation.
Solid Construction:As with all Radial products, the X-Amp is built like a tank to provide years of trouble-free performance. A welded I-beam internal skeleton provides a separate housing for maximum protection against external forces, which may cause stress on the PC board assembly while the outside bookend cover provides a protective zone for the switches, potentiometer and connectors. A full bottom no-slip pad performs double duty by keeping the X-Amp from sliding around when placed on a vibrating amplifier while also providing electrical and mechanical isolation.
- Active re-amping device
- 100% Class-A signal path
- Two outputs to drive two amps
- Input level overload LED indicator
- Isolated output eliminates ground loops
- Variable output level control
- 14-Gauge steel welded I-beam construction makes it impossible to torque the PC board.
- Class-A active circuit for transparency and lowest possible noise.
- Ground lift switch - recessed to prevent accidental use.
- Audio Transformer provides 100% isolation to eliminate hum and noise caused by ground loops.
- Heavy duty connectors and switches - high cycle for reliable performance.
- Military spec PC board with full surface ground plane to reduce RF noise susceptibility.
- INPUT - Balanced LINE LEVEL XLR input connector, normally connected to recorder output. A dry guitar track would be a typical source signal.
- GROUND - INPUT SIDE lifts pin-1 ground at the XLR-in to help eliminate ground loops that can cause buzz and hum in a sound system.
- POWER - X-Amp comes equipped with a 15VDC 400mA power supply. Optional 100V, 110V, 220V and 240V PSUs are available.
- Full bottom rubber pad - provides plenty of stay-put wherever you place the X-Amp. Also electrical isolation from amp handles etc.
- Book-cover design creates a protective zone around switches & connectors ﾖ Indestructible 14-gauge steel construction with baked enamel finish.
- Power LED - lets you know the X-amp is on and ready to use.
- LEVEL control - adjusts the X-Amp level going to your amp or effects to match that of your guitar; get the exact sound as plugging directly in!
- CLIP LED - provides visual cue of input signal overload.
- OUT-1 1/4" DIRECT feed from the X-Amp's Class-A circuit. This output should always be used to ensure proper grounding.
- POLARITY - 180ﾰ reverse on the isolated OUT-2 to correct the phase with an amp or device connected on OUT-1.
- OUT-2 - 1/4" ISOLATED 2nd output to another amp or effect(s). Transformer isolation eliminates the hum and buzz caused by ground loops.
- Ground Lift switch on output - lifts ground between OUT-2 and OUT-1. Side mounted switch is recessed to prevent accidental use.
- Type:Active Reamping DeviceChannels:1Inputs:1 x XLROutputs:2 x 1/4"Height:2"Depth:5.5"Width:3.5"Weight:2 lbs.Manufacturer Part Number:R800 1028