The Flex Drive is the most versatile overdrive of the Rockett bunch. This was an attempt to achieve the Malcolm sound, which is one of Rockett Audio design's favorite rhythm tones ever! However, the Flex Drive will get you all the way to VH-2, which happens to be one of Rockets favorite lead tones. Luckily enough, all of the settings in between can achieve amazing blues and country tones as well, hence the name, Flex Drive. This is just an incredible tool for studio and live performances!
When you apply a clipping diode you will notice a slight drop in volume but it adds warmth and compression to your sound. There are two different diodes that have two different sounds to choose from. This makes the pedal very flexible for use with different amp/guitar combinations.
If you choose to run the clip switch in the middle position you will remove any diodes from the circuit. By doing this it hits the op amp directly so that it can create fuzz-type tones in higher gain settings. Rockett has designed this position to work as a boost mode. If the gain is set to around 9:00 o’clock or less then the volume becomes your boost volume. By feathering in the gain to taste you can make the pedal clean or slightly dirty. The sweet spot on this pedal is when the volume is increased to around 1:00 to 2:00 o’clock.
- Volume: When turned to the right the volume increases, when turned to the left the volume decreases.
- Tone: When turned to the right the higher frequencies are increased, when turned to the left the higher frequencies are reduced.
- Gain: When turned to the right the gain is increased, when turned to the left the gain is decreased.
- Fat: When switched to the right the “fat” effect is off, when switched to the left it is on.
- Treble: This is a three-way switch for voicing the highs. The middle position offers no treble cut whereas the up and down positions allow for two different treble cut values.
- Clip: This is a three-way switch for clipping. The middle position takes all the diodes out of the circuit, which is ideal for clean boosts (we recommend bringing the gain down in this position). When switched up or down, different diodes are activated to create additional clipping sounds.
- Dimensons: 4.75″ x 3″
- 9 volt Negative tip adaptor and a 5.5mm x 2.1mm jack.
- 9 volt Battery
- True Bypass Switching
All J. Rockett Audio Designs pedals operate off of the standard BOSS type 9 volt adapter or a single 9 volt battery. The power input is a 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm jack with the positive voltage on the outer sleeve. Using an external power supply will automatically disconnect the battery. Disconnect the input jack to preserve battery life when not in use or when not used with an appropriate, external power supply.